An Englishman's Home
- An English Country Garden
- By The Sea
Celebrations and Traditions
- Food & Drink
Back to News...
The Royal Yacht Squadron was founded in 1815 as The Yacht Club by 42 gentlemen interested in sea yachting. The original members decided to meet in London and in Cowes twice a year. The Earl of Yarborough welcomed the Prince Regent as a member in 1817 and in 1820, when the Prince Regent became George IV, it was renamed the Royal Yacht Club.
The Club started organising racing as a principal feature of the annual regatta, which is now known as Cowes Week.
Located in Cowes Castle on the Isle of Wight, the Royal Yacht Squadron remains one of the most distinguished yacht clubs in the world.
The club’s patron is Queen Elizabeth II and the club’s Admiral is Prince Philip.